Who is this Magento migration article for?
This article is for store owners, merchants who are running Magento version 1.x and want to know when the good time is to migrate their store to Magento 2. This document is also for Magento developers and consultants to know the right time, proper strategy and planning to upgrade and migrate Magento 1 store to Magento 2
According to sources more than 400k United States based store owners are running their stores on Magento 1.x platform, now guess what will be the total figure if we include all the countries. The new acquirer Adobe which has recently purchased Magento company is still planning to give support to Magento 1.x platform for next 1.5 years. However, considering this period in terms of upgrading and migrating the store to 2.x, this seems very less time as some big stores may take more than 6 months to upgrade properly based on the complex business setup they have in their existing stores.
Am I going to get benefit after upgrading to Magento 2?
If I get a chance to speak, I will speak the truth. Magento 2 is buggy but it is promising. It is the future of Magento ecommerce and it has big scope to fulfill future requirements.
There are dozens of benefits after upgrading your store to Magento 2
- Magento 2 is much faster as compared to Magento 1. Almost 50% faster.
- Enhanced security through best practice of code architecture
- Lots of new B2B and B2C features
- Out of the box responsive themes which can fit to any device
- A more intuitive and UI friendly administration
- Better way to extend the features and create new extensions
- Good support from community and tons of development companies are available to help
Disadvantages of moving your Magento 1 to Magento 2
In the previous paragraph, I said that the Magento 2 is the future however, it involves lots of complexities and problems too while upgrading and migrating your Magento store.
- Complex your Magento 1 store is, more money you have to invest for upgrading this to Magento 2. Some good Magento development companies charge more than 50,000.00 USD to migrate and upgrade your current store from version 1 to latest Magento version 2.x. This totally depends on how easy or complex your store is. Some development agencies also charge less than 10k to upgrade if your store is simple. Also depends on from where you getting your upgrade done. If your project is outsourced to agency which is less expensive, you might pay less fee to upgrade it. However, take extra precautions in choosing the right agency.
- Theming – at all, your existing design theme can not be moved to Magento 2. It is not a good transition. So, you will either have to design your existing theme from scratch or redesign your site completely on Magento 2 responsive theme architecture. I would suggest the later part as you are spending money and then putting the site on latest trends and design is really something you should look for.
- Many of Magento 1.x extensions are not available on Magento 2. No doubt, there are some inbuilt features in Magento 2 which can help you to not use some of your existing plugins however, still many customized extensions are not available in Magento 2.
- Time consuming process – this entire thing is very time consuming, from planning to execution, everything needs proper research, better plan and then its execution. It involves many important stages like existing data transfer, third party data transfer, third party extensions, customization in the store, development, retaining of SEO, theming, new customization and so on. Could be an affair of 3-6 months.
- There could be some SEO risk and affect on your site ranking – proper study, planning and implementation is needed by an experienced SEO auditor for your site.
- If you are an enterprise customer, now licensing is more expensive than your current licensing. However, I would say its worth the cost.
- Stability issues – Magento 2 is powerful and extendible but all comes with existing bugs, missing elements, unavailability of extensions etc. You definitely require a good developer with you all the time to help you if anything affects your business. Keeping your store stable all the time should be the biggest goal of your Magento 2 developers.
What are your risks if you still stay with Magento 1.x
After 18 months when the support and security patches from Adobe Magento is stopped, all the websites still using this platform will be an easy target from hackers for server attacks, website hacking, spamming, and other theft of your data and customer details.
Not just that, if there is any existing bug, issues etc come after 1.5 years, you will have to manage it by your own or hire someone to fix that.
When is the right time to migrate and upgrade my Magento 2 store?
All that means, you should go for migration as and when it is possible. I would suggest an off season time is good to upgrade your Magento store when your sales are not on peak.
Also, if you already have many issues, your design is outdated and features are missing which you wanted in your store – go for the migration, upgrading and redesigning of your Magento 1 as soon as possible.
How to prepare for Magento 2 migration?
There are couple of important points which I will mention here that can help you to do the planning and execution in a better way.
Features and Functionalities– Make a document of all the existing features you have on your website, how they work on the frontend and how they work on the backend. Also, consult with a magento 2 expert. He will help you to eliminate some of the features which are already the part of Magento 2
Choose the right time – Think about the off season of your business and decide to start this project by that time and launch the new site in the same off season. Neither starting the project nor launching the project in the peak season is good.
Create a migration plan– sit with your developer, give as much details as you can. Have dozens of conversations about your business and ask him to prepare the proper upgrade and migration plan with proper timeline of launching.
Also, go to our magento migration service page and see how we can help you to achieve this goal for you. Here is the link to our service: https://www.bizspice.com/magento-2-services/magento-2-migration-services.html